The reason I chose the word madness is because that’s exactly what it was…madness. This is one of those projects that require a lot more hand sanding than I would ever want to do again. That being said, I made four more.
My last batch was made from reclaimed poplar. This batch was from store bought poplar. I had every intention to make the pulls out of dark green poplar but the stock I found wasn’t quite dark enough. The fourth picture here shows one that I made with the poplar pulls. I ended up getting some walnut from my junk bin and making some brown pulls for the rest.
Because I had the option of choosing my own wood I tried to get the best looking grain for the fronts and backs. I ended up putting the best pieces in back as I thought the cuts and pulls on the front would take away from the natural beauty of the wood.
The black one was actually from the first batch last month. It was requested to be painted for my niece. In the end I like the way it turned out.