This was a last minute project I decided to make for my mother for Christmas. She makes a lot of items with yarn so the objective was to make a storage solution with some plastic containers. While these are going to be used for yarn you could really use this project and these containers for just about anything you need to store. Assuming that the weight isn’t too heavy.
The design criteria for the build was to make something that was able to break down easily. For that I used dados and screws. No glue on this project. It also had to be light weight. A central structural support with arms would be lighter than a structure with a left and a right side. Each bin needed to be removed individually which means the bins can’t stack directly on top of one another. And finally the entire structure needs to be mobile. Because the structure will be centralized a single handle on the top of the project should allow for easy movement.
The storage containers I am using are plastic shoe boxes that can be found at a dollar store. I actually picked these up at Wal-Mart for $1 each. Two stacks of five form the initial shape of the project.
Because this was a last minute project I didn’t have time to glue up a panel and I really didn’t want to use plywood for this. So I purchased a 3/4” thick by 16” x 36” paint grade project panel for the main vertical structure.
The project panel was the only piece of wood I wanted to purchase for this. For the legs I used scrap 2×4 material.
The 2×4 material needed a dado to accept the project panel. For that I used my exact width dado jig and my router. This will give me a perfect dado every time.
Once the width is set on the jig you just need to line up the zero clearance platforms with reference marks on the material you want to cut a dado in.
And from there the router does the work. The router will reference along the fences and create a perfect width dado.
The 2×4 material is a bit on the bulky side for this application so I trimmed it down. I used a can to mark a radius on the top corners and cut a slot out of the bottom middle so that the ends of the 2×4’s form feet. All of these cuts were made on my bandsaw.
My intention was to use my original belt sander platform to smooth out all of the bandsaw cuts but somehow or another the MDF platform and particle board table I was using previously got wet and fell apart. So I threw belt sander platform #2 together in about 10 minutes. I made this one hook up to my ShopVac though. This version is much more compact than the other and has the sanding belt in the horizontal position which I seem to like a lot more.
With the feet cut and sanded I tested them out on the panel. They fit like a glove. No problems there.
On to the branches that will support the shoe boxes. These were to be made from 1x material. I used one 8′ 1×4 furring strip for all of these.
The process was the same for the branches. Route a dado, cut a radius on the corners, and cut a slot on the top side for the shoe boxes to sit in. Then I could sand them all smooth with the belt sander platform.
The dados are what make this project possible. With the project panel fitting into the dados on the branches it prevents the branches from rotating. All that is left to do is predrill and drive one screw per branch to secure it.
And the other side is done the same way.
After a quick rough assembly I could verify all the dimensions worked out great. I was also able to see how much room I had for a handle on the top of the project panel.
I used a piece of plastic to draw an arc near the top and offset a couple arcs below that to form the handle hole. A forstner bit was used to create the ends of the handle
I used to hate using my jigsaw until I found out how much not only using a decent jigsaw but also using decent blades makes a HUGE difference. That being said, I used my jigsaw to cut the interior arcs to form the handle.
And while I was at it I cut the top arc as well.
Of course the cuts had to be smoothed out. This ten minute belt sander platform was a huge help for this project.
Another previous shop project that really helped out was my sliding moxon vise. It held the panel perfectly and allowed me to file down the interior of the handle slot. This moxon vise is by far my favorite shop project I have ever made. It’s just so useful.
Once everything was smooth I used a round over bit in my router to soften the edges of the handle and the top arc.
After sanding all of the router burn marks off I applied my finish. I wanted to experiment with this one a bit so I used Tudor Brown Briwax. That’s it. Just a wax finish. I’m absolutely thrilled with the way it looks. This project will be used and probably abused so a soft wax finish will bend with any dents and dings that this may get.
And after a final assembly I’m pleasantly pleased with the results. All of the design criteria has been met and the finished project looks better than I had thought it would. Like I said these will be used to store yarn but you could really use this design for just about anything. I don’t have a step by step plan for this but I do have a set of dimensioned diagrams that you can download for free. Just click here. If you found this project useful I’d love for you to share it on your social media platform. Finally, I’ll leave you with a random screenshot of me looking like I’m waving goodbye. Thanks for stopping by folks and have a great day.