Well over half of the emails sent to me are on the subject of tools. I have no objections to responding to them but I thought it would be beneficial to start a video library of sorts to briefly touch on what I think of a particular tool or set of tools. These won’t be in depth tool reviews as I know very few people are interested in that kind of thing and I really don’t want to go over all the details. Instead I’ll just focus on the things I like about the tool, things I don’t like about the tool, and would I buy it again. I have a huge list of “episodes” that can be made and plan on releasing one per week. Hopefully this will be helpful to some people.
Grizzly G0555LANV Bandsaw
I purchased the G0555LANV bandsaw a few years ago from Grizzly.com. I don’t recall the exact number but I believe I got it on sale for around $550 including shipping. You can see all the specs on it here.
What I like:
- Powerful enough. Max capacity is 6-3/8″ or so and I cut 6″ thick of end grain oak with no problems.
- Very little maintenance is required. I’ve only cleaned the pine pitch off the guide bearings. That’s it.
- The fence is nice.
- All of the adjustments are easy.
- The stand is very sturdy.
- Good value.
What I don’t like:
- The table mount assembly isn’t as solid as I would like.
- Dust collection is horrible.
- I wish the fence was mounted in some other way which would allow for the blade removal slot to be in the front of the table.
Would I buy the g0555LANV again if I had to do it over?
Yes. If I went back in time and was in the exact same situation I was in when I bought it I would buy it again. It’s performed as expected and has been a very convenient machine as the amount of maintenance required has been minimal. I find it to be the best saw for the money in that price range. However, if I had to start my shop over tomorrow with my current situation I would not buy this machine. Instead I would buy a larger model that would allow 12″+ of resaw capacity which would better suit my current wants in a bandsaw.