The shop is all moved and now I’m actually setting up the space. I’ve already ran new electrical circuits and upgraded the lighting (full article from beginning to finish on the new shop soon) and I’m at the point where I need to setup the dust collector. It’s the only tool that has me really scratching my head on how I want to proceed. In the old shop it was very easy for me to exhaust the fine particles outside via a plywood panel in the window. Here in the new shop I really do not want to make any large holes in the walls for the dust collection pipe so I may end up buying a canister filter. But that’s a project for another day. Today lets talk about running the dust collection pipes.
Previously I used some perforated plastic strapping to hang the pipes. While it worked just fine in supporting the pipes it was a big pain in the rear every time I wanted to change the pipe layout. So to eliminate the plastic strapping completely I decided to make a few plywood brackets.
I cut squares that allowed enough space to get two brackets per square. After they were all cut I clamped them together. And used painters tape to hold them together through the bandsaw.
I was able to make a pattern in SketchUp. A little spray adhesive will secure it to the plywood squares.
Then it’s just a matter of cutting out the pattern. Having all of the squares stacked like this really saves time when cutting these out. Otherwise you would have to cut out every shape individually. I made ten brackets so that would have been 20 patterns.
Once the pattern is cut out one of the new bracket pieces could be transferred to the waste side of the squares. While cutting the pattern on the rest of the material I broke my good bandsaw blade. Luckily a bandsaw blade break isn’t too eventful and isn’t incredibly dangerous. It will scare the crap out of you though.
With the bracket sides cut I could cut the center spacers. The only scrap I have in the shop is some 3” wide 1x material. I cut a few 8” lengths first.
And then ripped all of my 8” pieces to a bunch of 3/4” strips. Ten of these will be used at full length and a couple will be trimmed to 1-1/2” for the front support blocks.
After all the pieces are cut the assembly goes pretty fast. The small block is glued to the front “arm” part of the bracket and the 8” spacer piece is glued to the wall side of the bracket. These blocks are sandwiched between two bracket pieces and held on with glue and brad nails.
I drilled two pilot holes in the back side of all the brackets for the screws. I also added a chamfer to the holes on the back side instead of the front. When these brackets are installed the screws will actually mushroom the drywall slightly when they are driven into the wall. This chamfer serves as a relief hole for the mushroomed drywall.
To secure them to the wall I used two 2-1/2” Kreg screws per bracket. I went with the Kreg screws because they have a nice sized washer head that will really pull the bracket to the wall.
Once installed they worked out great. The pipes are simply held in place by gravity. No need to strap them down as they won’t be jumping out of the brackets. This allows for greater flexibility when the time comes to upgrade or modify the system. Simply pick up the pipe and modify as needed.